Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 170

Thread: student expelled from UVAWise

  1. #111
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Its not that people are necessarily defending him, but the fact that a creative writing paper is what lead to him being singled out. I wondered how long it would be before his high school essay was brought up that I had been told about after this first came out.

    But come on, you can't honestly hold his prior issue against him because how many other college students have been busted for trying to enter the wrong dorm room drunk? A few thousand? At least he is of age to drink when its happened.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  2. #112
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Well it is kind of what i was saying before about there being a pattern IMHO the Story alone would not be reason enough but the probation for Drunkenness and the assault (which IMHO is the bigger issue) AND the story which was hitting pretty dang close to home given recent US events and the naming of his charters


    I DO wonder if a court may supersede Public Schools "right?" to ban firearms (or other weapons) IMHO if that is the case I suspect that a new law covering that would be passed VERY quickly.


    Again not saying things could not have been handled a bit better BUT could you imagine how the school would have been thrown under the bus if he had turned out to be crazy (A Man trained in combat possibly with PTS (just thinking how the story would have been given to us on CNN and FOX) on probation for attempted Breaking an entering and assault while Drunk. Then wrights a story where the Main Charter fantasizes about killing his professor who just happens to have the same name as the professor in the wrighting class. I can see the follow up stories as to why the collage did not take quicker action now.


    Honestly I feel bad for the guy but at some point you have to follow the rules even if you do not agree with them

  3. #113
    Inactive Member yankeebaseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    I could careless about the gun issues, I was commenting on the writing aspect.
    Nothing but the process is infinite
    Eternal, endless, indefinite

  4. #114
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Was the assault not attached to the drunk in public/attempted breaking an entering charge? Which all were dismissed.

    Like I said before, and agree with yankeebaseball. Most are concerned that you are limiting someones ability in college by judging them suicidal and such due to the type of writings they put forth.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #115
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most are concerned that you are limiting someones ability in college by judging them suicidal and such due to the type of writings they put forth.
    </div></div>

    If that is the case I would object as well but was he expeled for the wrighting or the guns?

  6. #116
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    The whole problem with this is that his writing was singled out and led to the search which produced the guns. Now, given that his writing wasn't even the most violent of the papers, and given that the other "violent" papers didn't lead to a search, and given that there is no law in the Virginia that permits colleges and universities to ban concealed weapons carried with a permit, and given that I happen to know how ludicrous the HS essay was, and given that all he had done wrong before was be drunk in public (like every other student up there has been at one time or another)the expulsion is wrong. Nothing you say or write will convince me otherwise...and I stand by my view on this. (Counts, this isn't aimed at you, just this thread in general)
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  7. #117
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    No problem I am not sure myself that the paper on its on (I have not read it so it is kind of hard to judge) should have lead to the student being singled out and that is where his case is if he has one becouse once the search turned up the guns and the rule violation I think the Collage is in the right

  8. #118
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Looks like ETSU has a nut as well:

    http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tr...3-13-0030.html
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  9. #119
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Indian_Dad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like ETSU has a nut as well:

    http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tr...3-13-0030.html</div></div>

    See--here's where the situation's different. This dude called into the administrative offices talking about actually killing people on campus, and saying things that most psych eval's would find as threatening to himself and/or others.

    This other dude wrote a fiction story that wasn't meant to be taken seriously. His psych eval was clean (otherwise he'd still be incarcerated). Even if the story were directed at anybody (i.e. the professor), it was done facetiously--not in a threatening fashion.

    These two situations are REALLY different to me.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  10. #120
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    I've really debated whether to reply to this thread or not...but here goes.

    As someone who is trained to recognize what society determines as "mental illness" and who has the right, by law, to have somone involuntarily admitted to a hospital, I think that things have gotten a little out of hand. I am not talking about the handgun issue, I think that the main reason Barber was suspended is because of his writings.
    If we look back in history, some of the greatest figures suffered from mental problems/instability. NAMI Famous Persons with Mental Illness
    Such as:
    Winston Churchill- Bipolar Disorder
    Charles Dickens- Depression and Mania
    Goethe-Bipolar d/o
    Handel - Bipolar d/o
    Abraham Lincoln - Major Depression
    Teddy Roosevelt - Bipolar d/o
    Vincent Van Gogh - Depression (From personal research and interest, I think he was Schizoaffective)

    I'm not saying that Barber's writings were Nobel prize worthy, but at the same time, his creative expression on a highly politicized and charged topic, is the major issue here.

    If someone comes into a mental health clinic/hospital/office, presents within a given criteria and in the clinicians judgement, then that individual can have all of their rights reversed and be forced to enter a psychiatric hospital, and even be force medicated. Sometimes the individual does not have to speak or provide information, the people with them can provide enough information to the clinician to provide "probable cause" and that's all it takes.
    With practioners so worried about being sued, especially after the Tarasoff vs. Regents of the University of California case in 1968, they are more likely to overcommit than they are to reccomend other alternatives.

    In two recent cases, Lund vs. Northwest Medical Center, PA in 2003 and Robert L. Marion vs. Bellevue Hospital in 2004, persons who have been involuntarily committed have sued and won, both of these lawsuits were above $1 million EACH. If a lawyer wanted to take this, Barber would have a decent shot at winning.

    If Barber was committed, then he would have been taken to a psychiatric hospital, either Woodridge, Penninsula, Lakeshore or St. Albans in Radford. That is the only option.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •